Four our guest room, I wanted to get a piece of furniture with cabinets in addition to drawers for some additional storage. I had been looking at buffets and sideboards on Craigslist for a while but could never find one in decent shape for a few hundred dollars or less. On a trip to the suburbs, I drove past a thrift shop and decided to pop in. This sideboard was buried under some old cash registers and picture frames, but was in good shape and was 20% off that day because it had a yellow sticker on it and apparently yellow was the color of the day so I got it for $80! It had one broken knob, was missing a knob, and had some scratches and nicks.
After brining it home and giving it a good sanding with a power sander, I broke out my new favorite toy – a power sprayer! The sprayer took some getting used to – its not quite the same thing as spray paint, but it does make paint a lot more affordable.
Last summer when Ryan and I were visiting his family at their shore house, we saw a china cabinet in their backyard and asked why it was out there. They told us they were planning on throwing it out since they had just purchased two matching cabinets to replace this one. As they were talking, all I heard was “Free Cabinet!”. We loaded it in the car and brought it home. A few days later, I sanded, primed, and painted a bright bluish color – almost like a Tiffany blue. I also bought some paintable wallpaper at Lowe’s and attached it to the doors using double stick tape incase I didn’t like it. The knobs also came from Lowe’s. It now sits in my closet proudly holding perfumes, purses, jewelry, and boots. I love that it looks like a display case, it makes me feel like I’m shopping in my own closet!
Project Cost: $85 ($40 for paint and primer, $20 for wallpaper, $25 for knobs)
“A throne is only a bench covered with velvet.”
– Napoleon Bonaparte
As I’ve mentioned in other posts, we have a spare room that we are trying to decorate as a guest room knowing that it will eventually be a nursery. I have been trying to pick sea foam and coral shades with bright white furniture to create a fun and sort of beachy feel. We always need more storage space (I could probably stop buying stuff and then we wouldn’t need to store as many things and be in constant need to storage, but that’s probably not going to happen anytime soon!). So I started looking on Pinterest for interesting storage ideas that could work in a kid’s room. Here is the final product.
We have an empty room in the house that we are trying to decorate as a stylish guest room but choosing colors, patterns, and furniture that will also work when it someday serves as a nursery. Here is the link to the bench from a bookshelf that is also in this room.
There is a small space in the room in between the door and the closet that is only about 29″ wide. I wanted a tall bureau to fit in this area so we would have as much storage as possible, but I needed something relatively skinny to fit the spot. After months of searching on CraigsList, I came across a 1960’s French Provincial lingerie chest that had been through the ringer.
It was in rough shape! When I was sanding it down, I think I went through 4-5 layers of paint – purple, beige, blue, and the original paint. It was probably toxic and I’m very glad I had a mask and gloves! Even the poor handles had coats and coats of paint. I saw on an episode of HGTV Rehab Addict that you can remove paint from metal by soaking it in a crock pot. It works! A few coats of primer and spray paint and I think the piece came out great and it is the perfect fit for my space.
Project cost: About $70 ($40 for the bureau about about $30 for primer and paint).
I needed some additional space on my third floor (master bedroom and bathroom area) to hold odds and ends like linens, toilet paper, towels, soap, etc. Our bathroom has a small sink with some storage underneath and the bedroom has a typical bi-fold accordion door closet with limited space. No hall closets anywhere in the house. So, I thought it might be fun to find an old china cabinet on CraigsList and give it a nice update. I wanted cabinet and shelf space but wanted it to look nice since it would be in the hallway. Here are some before, during, and after photos. (I completed this about a year ago but didn’t get around to posting it until today.
Back in my spacious Connecticut apartment, I bought four “Roger” chairs for about $60 each from Ikea to fit a small dining table I had. My parents, who live in Rhode Island, were able to store them until I bought my house in Philadelphia. The new house had an area for a larger dining table I was looking on the Ikea website a few additional Roger chairs. They had been discontinued. I turned to my favorite site, (this was before Pinterest!) CraigsList, and was searching for Roger chairs. I stumbled across a listing for four chairs plus the matching dining table for $100! It was in NY near the NJ line, but my parents were driving through that area the next day on their way to visit me and were able to pick them up. It worked out fantastically! Until a few years later when I was bored with the look of the chairs. Since I had assembled them in the first place, I knew it would be really easy to switch the fabric, especially if I cheated and just covered over the old fabric. A few screws, some fabric, and a staple gun and I was all set! I had some extra leftover fabric so I looked up no-sew valances on Pinterest and found few easy steps on blogs. Here are the results: